As many of you already know we live in one of the older buildings along what was the waterfront of early Charlottetown. We knew that it had originally been the home of a Mr Duncan and then went through many changes of hands and purpose until today. In his most recent posting on his blog Sailstrait Harry Holman, Island archivist, historian, and sailor extraordinaire filled us in on the early history of the property, the people and our neighbourhood.
As always it is great reading and leads us to a better appreciation of our good fortune in living here. A left click below will reveal the story of what is now the Lennox Building at the corner of Water and Prince, and our home.
Another word for April 6th:
Archivist /ˈärkəvəst,ˈärˌkīvəst/: [noun]
An information professional who assesses, collects, organizes, preserves, maintains control over, and provides access to records and archives determined to have long-term value.
Archive c.1600 from French archif, from Late Latin archivum “written records,” also the place where they are kept, from Greek ta arkheia “public records,” plural of arkheion “town hall, public building”. The sense of “place where public records and historical documents are kept” in English is from 1640s + ist “one who does”. That would certainly be Mr Holman.
The Duncan shipyard property in 1878 at the time of Duncan’s bankruptcy. Duncan’s house was on the corner of Prince Street with its conservatory. The property also included a residence to the west which dated to the 1820s. Image from the Panoramic View of Charlottetown 1878.
Between the Steam Navigation Wharf (which had carried the names of Reddin’s Wharf and Pope’s Wharf) and the Ferry Wharf at the end of Prince Street lies a property of some significance to the history of Prince Edward Island. Here the foreshore stood at the foot of a high embankment and the waters were relatively shallow so that any wharf would have to be quite long to reach the channel. Instead of a wharf the property became the site of one of the few shipyards on the waterfront.
The Duncan shipyard saw the building of a number of ships but most of the vessels…
View original post 851 more words